Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:15pm - Nov 5,19 
Do any of you guys the fish to Saint Joe River for steelhead use dyed salmon skein, or uncured un dyed salmon skein thank you

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:43pm - Nov 5,19 
Everything I have been hearing on the St. Joe the last two weeks have been coming from beads. Heard a few on cured skein.
This one came on a white twister, 1/16 ounce, at night.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:50pm - Nov 5,19 
What are beads

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:02am - Nov 6,19 
Look at these https://www.fishusa.com/Great-Lakes-Ste ... QDEALw_wcB

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:44am - Nov 6,19 
I'm sure you can find a ton on line about bead fishing. It is a fun way to chase steel. Find a likely looking run and anchor up parallel to it with in moderate casting distance. Using a long rod the main line to a swivel and leave a tag 6-8". Tie about 2.5 - 3' of leader from the swivel. I use an double overhand knot to hold the bead in place and 3 fingers ahead of the bead use a #8 or 10 hook. Large split shot on the tag end 3 or 4 to start, if they get wedged on rocks you can generally pull them free. Cast just short of perpendicular to the bank and with the right # of split shot and you will just be tickling the bottom as it sweeps the run adjust weight as necessary. Side imaging if you have it will help you find gravel that's free of tree snags. No mistaking a hit - hang on - repeat as needed. Colors of the beads, start w ones that look like fresh king spawn and go towards yellows the later into the season.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:07am - Nov 6,19 
grindstone wrote:
I'm sure you can find a ton on line about bead fishing. It is a fun way to chase steel. Find a likely looking run and anchor up parallel to it with in moderate casting distance. Using a long rod the main line to a swivel and leave a tag 6-8". Tie about 2.5 - 3' of leader from the swivel. I use an double overhand knot to hold the bead in place and 3 fingers ahead of the bead use a #8 or 10 hook. Large split shot on the tag end 3 or 4 to start, if they get wedged on rocks you can generally pull them free. Cast just short of perpendicular to the bank and with the right # of split shot and you will just be tickling the bottom as it sweeps the run adjust weight as necessary. Side imaging if you have it will help you find gravel that's free of tree snags. No mistaking a hit - hang on - repeat as needed. Colors of the beads, start w ones that look like fresh king spawn and go towards yellows the later into the season.

Yes, exactly what he said. Don’t be afraid to play around with the colors though. Chartreuse has been a proven producer for me.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:16pm - Nov 6,19 
one more thing.If you're fishing up by the dam make a stop at Zicks Specialty Meats. Great local business in Berrien Springs. I like his beef sticks best but he has them in venison honey ham and the full range of exotic meats. They are near the smokestack on Mechanic St. Either to keep you going on the water or a snack for the ride home give 'em a try you'll be hooked

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:41pm - Nov 6,19 
Thanks guys, What pound test do you use.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:08pm - Nov 6,19 
I use 10 # flouro for my walleye gear and I’ve caught many steelhead while targeting walleye. But on my bead set ups, I’ll use 14 pound suffix for salmon and trout.
If you target walleye at night enough on the joe, your bound to hook in to a steelhead. The steelhead are stacked in there right now and the walleye are showing up more and more with this cold snap we are getting.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:13pm - Nov 7,19 
Awesome info thank you all, do you use cured skein or raw, I just got 7 pounds from Oregon and trying to figure out if I should get dye and cure them the way I have always done it, For harbor fishing or do most people use raw uncured for the Joe

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: