Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:37am - Jan 8,19 
Anyone using LEADER MATE original or mini for your dypsie storage????? Other uses????? Are they worth buying???? Is there anything better on the market????? Just looking for thoughts before buying... Thanks

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 03:46pm - Jan 8,19 
Are you breaking down your rods at the end of the trip? If you dont have to break the rods down its pretty easy to wrap up so it doesnt tangle.

Lower dipsey so if you were holding the rod up it would be about a foot above the reel.
Hook the spoon on the first eye of the rod. With a fly on third eye.
Then holding the rod out with the reel facing down start to wrap the line from the lure side around the reel (not handle side) until you have it to the point where the line from the reel to the rod tip with the dipsey has no sag in it.
The grab the line going from reel to rod tip with dipsey and spin it around until tight and loop around a rod guide.

Want to put the dipseys lower on the rod to keep them from flopping around and helps with tangles with other rods as well. I actually wrap All my rods because I stack them all on top of each other each day. This is also good when running from one spot to another as it keep the dipsey from flopping around.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:43pm - Jan 8,19 
I've never used them or seen them in person. I have seen a bunch of ways guys store their dipsies that don't cost $30 and don't require taking up that much storage on the boat. I now break down my rods after every trip but I used to leave them ready to fish on the old boat. Since I use short 5'-ish leaders for my dipsies and had 7' dipsy rods, I would reel the dipsy to the top of the rod and, ideally, wrap the leader around the reel once then attach the lure on the first eyelet. If my leader was too short, I'd just lower the dipsy down from the rod tip a bit. It wasn't an exact science and probably wouldn't work for piling up rods but did the job laying them out across a table. When running out, I like to secure my dipsies with 2 rubber bands by wrapping the rubber bands around rod and the dipsy. (Brian/Why Knot/Bird Dog/Capt. DVM taught me that one). I also secure dodgers/flashers with a velcro cable strap.

Luna-Sea, the company that makes the Leader Mate, also makes the Cush-It which I highly recommend. The Big Game size is perfect for Great Lakes trolling and takes some of the bite out of bringing in a barn-door lake trout off a 10-color.

Formerly Anchor Management
Montrose Harbor
Channel 7
-----------------------------------------------------------

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: