Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:23pm - Sep 22,18 
I was hoping to float fish the Dowagiac River from the Pucker St. dam to the St. Joe this fall, but if you Google Losensky Park (the island park at the dam), it says that it's permanently closed. I understand that the dam is slated for removal soon, which is why I wanted to float it this fall.

Can anyone confirm that the park is closed?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:50pm - Oct 5,18 
Hmmm. I did that same run in my ‘yak in early June and the park was still open. But maybe they have finally started to tear down the dam? There’s a tackle shop in Niles (forgot the name) you can call and I imagine they can confirm.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:49pm - Oct 21,18 
I made the trek to Niles today, and the park at the Pucker St. Dam is indeed open! I went to the tackle/fly shop in town first to pick up some spawn bags, good shop, friendly folks. Hooked a big King at the dam, saw plenty of other fish moving in as well.

I'm actually looking to float the Dowagiac from the dam down to the highway and need a spotter to drive my car down river. The guy at the bait shop didn't have any ideas as to who to call. I guess I keep looking.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:31pm - Oct 21,18 
Jaybo, I've got a yak and have open weekend of November 3/4. That'll fix the spotter problem. send a PM if interested.

2016 Nucanoe Pursuit
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught!"
In case you are wondering, I sold the Grady. Oh well, everybody makes mistakes....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:23am - Oct 23,18 
Nice! Thanks for the intel. Yeah, I love that tackle shop. Best selection of corkies east of Oregon. I was planning to hit up St. Joseph this Sunday and try the surf, but may bring the yak along get one more float in instead if it stays dry this week. I self shuttled last time with my bike -- there's a takeout right before the Dowagiac empties into the Joe, with a parking lot and fenced-in water pumping station where I locked my bike. It's only like a two mile ride from there back to the park, so it's not that bad to do after paddling.

When are you planning your float? Also, the Dowagiac runs real fast and deep through that stretch, so paddle safely. Lots of sweeps, too, so make sure you don't have any gear sticking up or you'll get caught. There are some really great runs downstream of the dam, but being able to identify them quickly and then finding a spot to beach your yak all while navigating a pretty fast river makes it a whole lot of fun!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:16am - Oct 24,18 
Skunky and grady1007, PM sent.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:30pm - Oct 26,18 
Stopped at pucker street dam today. Talked to a couple of fishermen nothing at all.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:25am - Nov 5,18 
Nothing at all this past Sunday, either.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:26pm - Nov 5,18 
I think we still need a major rain event before they start making it that far up into the system. Problem is, cold temps later this week may beat that rain event and shut things down before they start. Sometimes they'll just end up congregating at the pier heads and off the beaches for the winter if the streams turn cold before they run high...or hole-up downstream until things warm up again and they're on the spawn.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:11pm - Nov 9,18 
I've been watching the fish cam all week. Saw plenty of chrome moving through the fish ladder the past couple of days, then today it pretty much turned off like a light. The cold likely shut them down.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:02am - Nov 10,18 
Jaybo wrote:
I've been watching the fish cam all week. Saw plenty of chrome moving through the fish ladder the past couple of days, then today it pretty much turned off like a light. The cold likely shut them down.

Do you have a link for the fish camera?

Thanks

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:26pm - Nov 10,18 
The link:

https://paddleandpole.com/

The Dowagiac is like a beautiful woman with a terrible personality. It rarely fishes as good as it looks. You can catch a lot more fish focusing your efforts elsewhere.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:51am - Nov 14,18 
Hahahahaha! That is the perfect description. I've never had much luck for big chrome there -- a few small browns and SMB. But it's a beautiful stream to be on.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:36am - Nov 16,18 
I'll agree with that assessment. This fall was a heavy king run, the only time I've had success on that stream.

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: