Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:15am - Aug 9,18 
Read within a recent post a comment made by Deplorables re: costing him $700 for a tow into the harbor. He mentioned Boat Us Tow insurance for $150. Good deal. It not only could save you a lot of money, it may save your life.

In May there was a man overboard post.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87072&p=557959&hilit=channel+68#p557959
and some radio usage was discussed.

You have to be responsible for your own safety and use all possible means to attain it.

I was out one day and a boat was without power and had taken on water. The boat called out on the radio...i believe to the Coast Guard first and then to Wauk harbor to contact the Coast Guard several times over at least an hour period. There was no response by the Coast Guard.

Fortunately the boat was holding it's own until help did arrive. They also knew that most boats out of Wauk monitor channel 68. I had responded to the boat over Channel 68 when I first heard the message. I have a small boat. They had a much bigger boat, but in an emergency I could have perhaps taken on passengers.

As said on that topic, your radio should scan for channel 16. There's a good article about DSC service on your VHF radio and you should make sure you sign in- it's free. http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2015/dec ... th-dsc.asp

Fellows out of Wauk usually monitor channel 68. A call out for help on a tow has been rewarded many times by near by boaters and the cost is usually negligible.

Know what channels are frequented out of your port. 68 common in Wauk. I believe 7 out of Chicago area, 70 out of Kenosha?
Maybe someone can post appropriate channels.

Thanks, :D

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:09am - Aug 9,18 
Good post Bubba, thank you. Most of us at Northpoint are on 68 as well. I always set my radio to Dual Watch 16 and 68. Also, I use Boat US for my insurance and have unlimited towing for less than $50.00 a year. I figure if I have it, I hopefully will never need it. You can bet if I didn't have it, I would surely need it!

Thanks,
Bill

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:23am - Aug 9,18 
Very well said on a very important topic Bruce! I monitor 16 and 68 at all times out of Waukegan , another good idea is to do a radio check to make sure you’re radio is working before you leave the harbor. Thanks for touching on this topic Bruce, we all may be in a situation at some time going out on the big pond and it’s great info to know.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:12pm - Aug 9,18 
Great topic, Bruce. I have my radio set to scan between 16 and 68. Also, SU members get a discounted rate at Boat US, in case some members don't know it. Another great reason to be a member!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:19pm - Aug 9,18 
Yes, Weezy thanks... I have Boat US total insurance and unlimited towing. As Ron says unlimited towing package for less than $50 with credit for belonging to SU. Towing I believe includes trailering- or my total insurance does; not sure if trailering is unlimited miles but it's quite a few and covered my blowout on I90 for some 20+ miles towing.

Another Safety factor to consider: You should always know your GPS coordinates where you are fishing in case you need help, or to guesstimate distance away from someone that does.

Waukegan being a gradual depth going east, many times if you state your depth, people can approximate your lontitude. Off North pt. or Kenosha, depth can vary, so it's best to know both latitude and longtitude.....

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:22pm - Aug 9,18 
Bubbalouie, You are so right! That is the information that we gave tow boat last year and he bee lined right to us. GPS and depth along with being a clear day helped a lot. I hope we can help others that didn't know that Boat Us is there for us Boaters.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:32am - Aug 10,18 
Bubbalouie and all fishing friends,

Great topic!! This gets even better. If I read this correctly the annual fee is $72 for fresh water. $150 is the salt water fee. Really a no brainier to be safe. Joining today.

Check it out. Please let me know if I am reading it wrong.

http://www.boatus.com/membership/plans-and-prices

Thanks
Steve

American ends in " I CAN "

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:46pm - Aug 10,18 
Going to join SU thanks for that info.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: