Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:12pm - Dec 3,17 
Never fished Indiana side of lake....read and want to fish gary light early in the spring for cohos...what would be the closest launch ramp? Is it pastrick?

Any info would help and thank you in advance.
Milan

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:54am - Dec 4,17 
Gary light is just about equally spaced between Pastrick marina and Portage/Burns ditch. It is one of my favorite places in early spring. Last year Pastrick was closed in the spring due to construction, should be fine this year.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 09:29am - Dec 4,17 
Pastrick is the way to go.

Gary light is just over 6 miles from Pastrick and 7.5 miles from burns. The distance is minimal. The bigger reason for pastrick is early season the bulk of the coho typically pile up in 1 of 2 places or both. Right around Gary Light and right out side Pastrick and around to Indiana harbor. The reason Pastrick is a better choice is because you have 2 good options and in many cases one will be better then the other and it can change daily.

The Red areas are good areas to target.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:16pm - Dec 4,17 
This will be my first year out there too, thanks for the map Storm Warning. Can't wait to get on some of those early season Cohos!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:37pm - Dec 4,17 
Again, I really thank you for replying to my post. All help is great. Also thank you for helping us new bucks to figure things out and passing the knowledge
Milan

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 12:44pm - Dec 5,17 
Before the season gets here I would suggest stocking up on a few staples. 00 size orange luhr jensen dodgers with peanut flys. fire tiger (orange with black stripes) thin fish, and some jointed rapalal's in various colors. A few blue dolphin spoons as well. Now day to day the baits will change but these will get you on the right path.

When they first come in they tend to like various body baits and maybe some spoons. will change through out the day and variety of colors will help. Then there are the fire tiger days. These are the magic days when people are either coming in empty or they had a fire tiger thin fish and have their limit. No idea why but I never have less then 6 on the boat. As the water warms the 00 orange dodger and peanut fly starts to work and once that happens you can pretty much just dedicate 75% of your spread to dodger/fly. Lot of fly colors and options as material. To me there are 2. a lighter color of blue or green and a dark one of black and purple. I like well built thick/full flys as they last a while. I get most of mine from Jimmys Flys. Great local guy. The coho then start to move up from IN to the shores off chicago and up to waukegan... Or least thats how it suppose to work but every year is different and last several years its been nothing like that.

Watch some guys online and it will give you a idea what is biting and where. I post pictures on facebook with many trips and typically include a picture of my chart plotter witch has coordinates. Lot of water out there so I don't hide.

When I started I didnt have anyone to tell me how and where so im happy to help.

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: