Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:39pm - May 18,17 
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a autopilot for my boat and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were . I have Lowrance hds units on my boat so I was considering the lowrance outboard pilot, however I'm concerned that it might have a hard time at trolling speeds. I have a 22' boat with a Honda 200 hp and a 9.9 Honda kicker . Right now I have a tie bar linking them together. I have heard great things about the TR1 gold so I could go either way . I would be glad to hear everyone's thoughts .

Sponsor
Sponsor

Location: Naperville, IL __ Boston Whaler Conquest w/twin Mercs

Post Posted: 07:56am - May 19,17 
Both.. oherwise get the tr1 gold. Its thr right tool for the job. Aside from the steering the throttle control is awesome. I loved the feature where you cna drop to idle and back the the same rpms you were running. That feature alone put a lot of fish in the boat.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:01am - May 19,17 
agree the TR-1 gold is the much better autopilot for the application.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:12am - May 19,17 
I have the same setup on my boat with Raymarine auto pilot on the 150 and love it. The TR1 is a good product but can't use it on my way to the fishing grounds or back. You can use your main engine and keep fishing in bad weather condition and the kicker can't keep up with the winds and waves. Using the auto pilot in fog condition is priceless.

Last edited by fishtracker on 10:23am - May 19,17, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:13am - May 19,17 
Cant speak against lowrance or expert tr1 suggestion above.
Just wana share what i have now. I used raymarine autopilot evolution ev100 (very easy to install) connected to my main and link to my kicker by a easy steer. So far i loved it! Doesn't draw too much power even the main is shut off. Not sure though, if you got alot of additional electronics hooked up to a battery like e-rigger and such if it will give you low voltage. So far mine working at it should.
Also Like fishtracker said, the benefits of main engine auto u can use the main engine if its snotty out there trolling and u can also use your main engine autopilot going from point A to B. :winker

Edit: assuming u got hydraulics steering for your main. If u dont, Tr1 auto is your only choice.

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 10:53am - May 19,17 
My whaler has a Raymarine EV-100 and that works very well. New boat has a Raymarine ev-200 again very well. The only autopilot I have read lately that has issues is the Garmin Compact which is surprising because Garmin makes a great autopilot. Make sure your steering ram is within limits of the pump.

Here is my TR1 on a past boat of mine. was a 20' Key West.

Here's the Raymarine EV-200 Autopilot on the new boat

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:32pm - May 19,17 
i only know of 1 person with tr1 gold and its great for trolling i can't speak for lowrance i can't afford tr1 gold so i use my terrazzo to steer the boat when busy or wanting to not steer and yahma kicker to thrust with the use troll master

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:53pm - May 19,17 
Thanks for the responses guys!! With the Raymarine , will it work together with any electronics via the nema 2k system, they look like real nice units. I like the idea of being able to use either motor depending on conditions. I definitely have to upgrade from my current autopilot, he tends to fall asleep :doh :rotflmao

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 05:08pm - May 19,17 
ThatBoat wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys!! With the Raymarine , will it work together with any electronics via the nema 2k system, they look like real nice units. I like the idea of being able to use either motor depending on conditions. I definitely have to upgrade from my current autopilot, he tends to fall asleep :doh :rotflmao

Rather then going Raymarine maybe you can get the Lowrance or Simrad outboard pilot and also add a Simrad AP44 control head for autopilot control. Not sure if this is possible but Simrad\Lowrance\B&G stuff is all the same and most is compatible.

Data can be shared via NEMA2000 but its more limited then if you had a single manufacture on their own system.

When I was hunting for a autopilot for my whaler I considered outboard pilot and was going to buy a older HDS5 to use just for the autopilot keeping my main display (HDS-8) free for everything else. Its also always good to have a second GPS incase the first one flakes out.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:03pm - May 19,17 
I check to see if that ap 44 unit is compatible with the lowrance . Thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:55pm - May 19,17 
I have lots of time with both units on 21 ft walleye boats my last two boats have had TR1s on Merc Pro Kickers not tied to the main motors and I thought they worked well until my tourney partner got the Lowrance unit on his last two boats. His boat has Merc engines tied together and last weekend we trolled at .8 mph and the auto pilot stayed on course exactly as we plotted it later we pulled cranks at 1.8 with same results, and because the unit is hooked through the main steering hydraulics we ran maybe 7 miles at 45mph in 2ft waves on auto pilot hitting the waypoint we set at the harbor mouth Took delivery last month on a new boat and it will have the Lowrance unit on it in my opinion it is a much better unit

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:28am - May 20,17 
info is a bit confusing we are comparing some apples to oranges here

tr1 gold is a kicker only auto pilot

not in the same category or class as a main motor auto pilot

garmin main motor auto pilot would be a ghp reactor hydraulic

comparing kicker auto pilot systems to main motor auto pilots is kind of like comparing a 14' row boat to a 26' cabin cruiser

After its all said and done.... ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUN!

Profile WWW  

Board index » Lake Michigan » Salmon/Trout
Jump to: